Sunday, February 15, 2009

When it rains it pours

This year is not starting out to be as great as we had hoped. In the last post, I posted I was sick. I was finally starting to feel better when we had a scare with Hunter.
Friday night about 11 p.m. Hunter ended up with a bloody nose. Ryan tried for 30 minutes to get it to stop. When that didn't work we ended up running out to the Emergency room in Tooele. After a long wait, we were finally seen. They finally got him to stop bleeding about 1:30. We were given the option of having his nose cauterized or bringing him home. One of the brethren in our ward's bishopric is an EMT and he was at the hospital. We brought him in the room and consulted with him. He suggested we just go home and if it started bleeding again to bring him back in. We took his suggestion and headed home. (On a cute side note, once Hunter's nose had stopped bleeding at the E.R. he rolled over and instead of asking what was going on, he said, "Where's Joanie?" It was really cute.)
Ryan cradled Hunter the whole way home, carried him up the stairs and set him on our bed. As soon as he was set on our bed his nose started gushing again. We tried for 10 minutes to stop it. After it didn't stop we ended up back at the E.R. The doc tried to cauterize it, but it ended up bleeding worse.
Anyway, to shorten the story, they ended up transporting Hunter to Primary Children's Hospital in S.L. via ambulance. It was scary, but we were also blessed. It turned out that one of my friends (thanks Rose) ended up being on the ambulance crew that transported Hunter in. Having someone I know and trust was a huge relief to me, since I rode in the ambulance and Ryan drove the car into S.L. We know the Lord was watching over us and is aware of our needs, because my friend doesn't usually work the night shift, but she was on. I know the Lord did that for me.
My friend was able to put some gauze in Hunter's nose to stem the bleeding. He was able to sleep the whole way into S.L. Once we got to Primary's I was so impressed. They took such good care of Hunter. They were amazing.
My parents came down from Syracuse at 6 in the morning for dad to help give Hunter a blessing. (They were also going to drive out to Tooele and pick Joanie up from our friend's house, but then we were told they were going to release Hunter so they didn't)
Hunter ended up seeing an ENT at Primary's. They ended up putting some sort of sponge-like substance in his nose to stop the bleeding. Once that was done, we headed home.
Ryan and I were both exhausted after being awake for more than 24 hours, but when we got home, we all slept. Joanie was so good and just watched TV.
Although this happened we are still thankful for the Lord for watching out for us. There were many small things that happened that made us aware that the Lord is watching over us. In addition to Rose being on the ambulance, I didn't end up with a migraine after being awake that long, and Ryan was able to stay awake to drive into and back from Salt Lake.

2 comments:

Rosalie said...

Well you are very welcome! I am glad he is doing ok! I am glad that you are all ok! What a night huh! Any problems since? I hope not!

Remember what we talked about...the "T's" are great!

AND Hunter, you get better soon so you can come ride in my Fire Engine, K!

Love you guys tons!

brett palmer family said...

I am so glad that everything turned out well. We love you and miss you. I know that the Lord watches over all of us in times of need. I am glad there are good friends that help us throught tough times.